The National Spanish Examinations are online, standardized assessment tools for Grades 6 -12, given voluntarily by over 3800 teachers throughout the United States to measure proficiency and achievement of students who are studying Spanish as a second language. The National Spanish Examinations are the most widely used tests of Spanish in the United States.
Here is some updated information on the NSE:
Beginning with the 2018-2019 academic year, NSE will provide two options to teachers as follows:
- NSE – National Spanish Examinations
All registration and test administration procedures will remain unchanged from 2018.
- NSA – National Spanish Assessments
AATSP announces a new series of examinations called the National Spanish Assessments.
The National Spanish Assessments (NSA) are the non-contest version of the NSE. The NSA is valid assessment tool written from the same specifications and standards as the National Spanish Examinations.
- Registration and testing can take place throughout the academic year.
- The cost of the NSA is $3 per student.
- Each of the four modules (Interpretive Reading, Interpretive Listening, Vocabulary, and Grammar) can be administered separately.
- Each of the four modules can be administered twice and at different points in the year to show growth.
- The NSA is not part of the NSE contest, and there are no prizes nor scholarships.
- Results are available immediately through the teacher’s Quia account.
- Results are provided in points and percentages, not in percentiles.
AATSP is currently working with Telefónica Educación Digital to develop the SEAL Exam. This full-proficiency examination combines the NSA exam scores, M1 (Interpretive Reading) and M2 (Interpretive Listening), with the SIELE S5 scores for Presentational Speaking and Writing.
- Schools must apply to become testing centers to administer SIELE through the SIELE website.
- Approved test centers can administer other SIELE exams in addition to the SEAL exam.
- Teachers register for the SEAL exam through the NSE website using ONE online registration form.
- The cost of the SEAL Exam is $89.
- Results are generally available within three weeks of testing.
- Results are provided as a proficiency using CEFR proficiency levels.
NOTE: Correlation of CEFR levels to ACTFL levels are readily available.
Hawai‘i winners of the National Spanish Exam will be posted here.
For information on taking the National Spanish Exam, contact Jami Higashi-Lee.
Visit the national website for more information.